I can't decide which to show first...so I think I will go with my favorite (though it is tempting to save it for the last post). This project started with a pair of booties (acutally they were requested by a relative of the mother). I used the basic premise of a Simplicity pattern, but I adapted the pattern to make it a Mary Jane style, with a lining and with elastic for the strap. I love baby booties...they are just too darn cute.
(Sorry for the photo quality...my camera and I are not on speaking terms right now!)
Well, I decided that I couldn't just make baby booties...they needed to coordinate with an outfit. I LOVE elastic thread now (thanks to Dana of MADE) and so of course, I thought it would be great to use the Summer Vacation Dress concept for a matching top. However, I am embarassed to admit, I made this top a total of 3 (yes, really) times. The concept is super easy and once I figured out the sizing...it was easy peazy...however getting there was quite a process. Dana's pattern does not include sizing for newborns..but there are basic instructions for adapting. Well, my adapting skills need some work. I don't have a newborn...and only have a couple of newborn onsie's on hand. My unsuccessful attempts ended up being too small; however these have made great doll clothes for my daughter. I am still not completely confident that the sizing is correct, but I definitely think it is close.
I used the star fabric from the booties for the bias tape for the shoulders/arms and the polka dot fabric also from the booties.
Of course, the outfit would not be complete without a pair of bloomers. I used an old pattern that I had for my daughter for sizing of the bloomers. However, I decided to continue with the elastic thread (it is addictive!) for the waistband and legs instead of the traditional casing in these areas.
I used the fabric from the bottom of the booties for the bottom of the outfit!
So here is the outfit together! I love anything newborn...it is so little...just for that alone it is adorable! I was pretty happy with the finished project though!
Several other projects will be forthcoming...and plans for even more in the very near future as well!