Monday, July 19, 2010
Dana also provided all of us with a wonderful FREE pattern in the Warhol dress. I modified mine slightly. She designed the pattern to have a tie at the side of the collar of the dress. I think that this is adorable...however, I wanted try it without the tie. The pattern is fabulous...but my first attempt was not quite the intended effect that I wanted. I needed to have gathered the dress at the collar bit more to make the dress fit correctly on the shoulders. Additionally, my attempt at omitting the tie on the collar proved not to be the wisest of decisions. Overall though, a great play dress! I can't wait to make another!!
On a side note...the fabric is retro - taken from my mom's sash. It is directly out of the 80's or early 90's. I am pretty sure that my sister and I had something fashioned out of that fabric back in the day!
Saturday, July 17, 2010
As I am looking back over my projects, there are a few Christmas projects that I wanted to detail. When is a better time for looking at Christmas projects than July!! Ha! Ha! However, I am trying to go in some sort of order, so hence the reason for the craziness (and I am seriously thinking to myself that I really should start on some of this Christmas projects now..).
As I have been reviewing my projects, I have found there have been several projects that I have not photographed. I don't know why, but I like to have pictures as a reminder of what I have done. I can use this to critique past work and tweak to improve the next time around.
One of those projects that I failed to photograph include crocheting 16 miniature stockings last Christmas. I did this for my son's kindergarten class. For Christmas parties, everyone sends treats, so I thought it would be great to make these miniature stockings to hold the treats but could then also be used as an ornament. When I got done, I swore that I would NEVER do this again...however...I thought they were cute once done and so I might be inclined to try it again. I had printed off this pattern several years ago and can't find the exact site again, but this site is a close match to the stocking pattern that I used. They have even added mini teddy bears to the stockings. Adorable!!
A couple of the Christmas projects that I did photograph last year are pictured below. In trying to decide what to give my son's teacher for Christmas, I decided upon a wall/door hanging. She loves bees and so I decided to use them for the theme. I desperately searched for a wall hanging tutorial, but could not find anything that I felt was fitting. I decided to use a Disappearing 9's quilt pattern for the wall hanging. I used this tutorial. This was my first attempt at any sort of quilting. It looks a bit wonky...which I didn't realize until after the gift was given and looking back at photos. I added a border to the quilt and also added some tabs when attaching the binding to add a dowel rod and ribbon to create the wall hanging. I do not have an embroidery machine, so I had a friend embroider Mrs. (Teacher's Name)'s Busy Bees. Overall, for my first attempt, I was happy with the end result.
Another project that I decided to tackle (waiting until Christmas Eve to make this brilliant decision) was a pillowcase dress for my daughter. I decided that she must have festive outfit and so took the kids to Hobby Lobby to pick out some fabric. I also purchased a shirt and fabric for my son to applique a "Christmasy" design on his shirt...however that did not get completed. Below is a less than ideal picture of the pillowcase dress. Those are large Christmas cupcakes on the fabric...just too cute! I know that it will certainly be large enough for her to wear this Christmas as well...which is why the pillowcase dresses are so great. I used this tutorial as my guide for this dress.
Up next....reviews of some current projects!! Yea!!!
Friday, July 16, 2010
Another "test" outfit I made last year is a combo of the apron skirt (without the apron) and a peasant top. I do not love the fabrics...but it was a test outfit after all. I still have some many ideas of how I want to use this peasant top pattern....so many possibilies...just a matter of getting to those ideas!!
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Given that I was happy with the results of the "test" pattern, I then used the expensive fabric to make Gracie's birthday outfit. The skirt is basically the same, however I used three colors in the skirt this time around and attached a piece of lace to the bottom of the apron piece. I adored the skirt. I appliqued a shirt for the birthday outfit as well, but it was a short sleeved shirt instead of a tank this time. I was at a loss as to what to applique on the front of this shirt. I ended up cutting out designs in the fabric and using the same Wonder Under process and zig-zagging the fabric on the shirt. This shirt was not was not what I had envisioned. I still am not satisfied with this shirt - but Gracie loved her outfit and had a great birthday!